Today is National Forget-Me-Not day! Traditionally this day is used to get in touch with family, friends and loved ones whom you have not seen in a while. It’s a great day to remind us to work on keeping in touch and not forget to sign out of the lives of our loved ones.
Well, with technology growing, we can use this day to also remind us not to leave our accounts logged in on other computers that are not our own! This simple mistake is quite common and many users don’t realize the problems they are creating when it happens. Forgetting to log out, even if you close your browser leaves future users able to access your account- and that is clearly not a good thing!
So not only is this post a reminder of the consequences of staying logged in with a computer that’s not your own but also to help you fix your problems with two of the top accessed accounts on the Web: your Facebook and Gmail account.
When trying to check Facebook, people are in such a rush to login and access updates they forget to log out. Well if this has happened to you, no need to worry about going back to that computer or device where you logged in, all you need to do is log in to Facebook and follow the following steps, and all your problems are solved!
- Go to the top right corner of your Facebook page and select the Account menu, the star/asterisk icon.
- Underneath the Account menu icon, look for Account Settings and click on it.
- Once in Account Settings, go to the top, left corner, under General and click on “Security”.
- In Security Settings the last item on the list is labeled “Active Sessions,” in this item click on the right word “Edit”.
- Facebook will show you your active sessions, the sessions that you are still signed into and will allow you to “End All Activity,” click this to sign yourself out, and after that you are all done!
Now, another common account that is frequently checked and left open is email, specifically Gmail. But just like Facebook, you can cancel the open sessions on devices you don’t want through just logging into your account and following these steps:
- After logging into your Gmail account, go to the bottom, right hand side of your browser, underneath your emails. Below “Last account activity” is “Details”, click on the word and a new tab will open up.
- In the new tab or pop-up, all your latest sessions will be shown and towards the top, left hand side a button labeled “Sign out all other sessions” will show. Click on this to end all current left-open sessions and just like that your problems are solved!
Hopefully you will work on not leaving yourself logged in, so your data and information are kept safe and out of the hands of strangers, but in case you do forget, follow the steps above and solve your problem before it becomes a bigger problem!
If you ever need help with accounts, finding settings, or finding a new service provider, call Huntleigh Technology and one of our tech advisors can help you out! We are here; forget us not!
Written by Ariel Campos